Hiring the "RIGHT" Contractor for your Home Improvement Projects and Repairs
As Spring approaches we begin to think about the home improvement projects that we set aside during the Winter months. Believe it or not, not only can the Summer sun do damage to our homes but the Winters can also add to the damage list. Here is a helpful list of questions to discuss with your professional contractor before you hire them to do your home improvement projects:
- General Liability Insurance: Is the company insured with a General Liability Carrier for residential and commercial projects? Keep in mind that a contractor will not be “self-insured” but will carry a substantial liability policy.
- Trade Association membership: Is the company a member of a trade association or the Better Business Bureau? Being a member of trade association implies that the company has a sense of responsibility to the industry – offering quality products and workmanship as well as having ethical integrity.
- Customer Referrals/Testimonials: Can the company provide customer referrals and testimonials data?
- Warranty: What kind of warranty protection does the company offer on their work?
- Customer Perception and Visibility: What kind of visibility does the company have in the marketplace? How do they advertise or how did you find out about them? Make sure they are a legitimate company! How long have they been in business?
- Financial Stability: For larger projects, such as a major remodel, request a bank financial stability and character letter. This document can be requested from the company’s bank.
- Insurance Issues: If you are having some insurance work done, beware of the companies that say “don’t worry about your deductible or “We can cover your deductible”…they are committing insurance FRAUD. By doing business with them, you are guilty of the same offense.
Finding a professional company is not difficult – just be sure to do your homework. Get references, check local trade associations and most importantly, feel it is someone you can trust in your most beloved possession – your home.About Us: The Viking Craftsman Inc, award-winning contractor, combines true craftsmanship with personalized service. Specialties include additions, kitchens, bathrooms, home theaters, and outdoor living spaces in Plano, McKinney, Richardson, Allen and Dallas, Texas.